The Best Way to Remove Smells From Tupperware
Have you ever opened your kitchen cabinet to find a container with an unpleasant odor that just won’t go away? We’ve all been there, and it can be quite a challenge to eliminate those stubborn smells from our trusty Tupperware. Whether it’s the lingering aroma of last night’s spicy curry or the faint scent of garlic from a week ago, we’re here to help you make your plastic food containers odor-free without the need for harsh chemicals.
1. Baking Soda to the Rescue
One of the simplest and most effective ways to remove odors from your Tupperware is by using baking soda. This kitchen staple is not only fantastic for baking but also works wonders as a natural deodorizer. Just follow these steps:
- Rinse your container with warm water to remove any food particles.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda into the container, making sure to cover the entire interior.
- Put the lid on and shake it well to distribute the baking soda evenly.
- Let it sit for at least 15-30 minutes or overnight for stronger odors.
- Rinse and wash your container as usual with dish soap and water.
2. Lemon Magic
Lemons are not only great for adding flavor to your dishes, but they can also help banish odors from your Tupperware. Here’s how to do it:
- Squeeze the juice of a lemon into the container, and add a little water.
- Close the lid and shake the container to spread the lemon juice mixture.
- Let it sit for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse and wash with dish soap and water.
3. The Vinegar Solution
Vinegar is another fantastic natural deodorizer. To use it for your plastic containers, follow these steps:
- Create a mixture of equal parts water and white vinegar.
- Fill your container with the mixture and let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with water and wash with dish soap.
4. Coffee Grounds for a Fresh Start
If you’re a coffee lover, here’s a creative way to give your Tupperware a new lease on life:
- Place used coffee grounds in the container and close the lid.
- Let it sit for a day or two, and the coffee grounds will absorb the unwanted odors.
- Remove the coffee grounds and wash the container with dish soap.
5. Sunlight’s Natural Touch
Sometimes, a little bit of fresh air and sunlight can work wonders. After washing your Tupperware, let it air dry in direct sunlight for a few hours. Sunlight has natural disinfecting and deodorizing properties.
6. Store Properly
Prevention is often the best solution. To avoid future odor problems, make sure your Tupperware is completely dry before storing it with the lid on. Moisture can promote the growth of odor-causing bacteria, so proper drying is essential.
Dealing with smelly Tupperware doesn’t have to be a daunting task. With a few natural remedies and some preventive measures, you can enjoy odor-free plastic containers for your leftovers and meal preps. So, say goodbye to unpleasant surprises when you open your cabinet, and hello to fresh, odor-free Tupperware ready for your next meal!