One Fire Department Is Advising People To Be Aware Of Potential Hazards Surrounding Extension Cords

source: Facebook/Umatilla County Fire District #1

Most of us own multiple extension cords and have them lying around for various uses. Especially during the holiday season, people tend to load up their power strips with sockets. However, you should never overcrowd a power strip, and there’s one specific thing that should never be plugged in to one.

source: F.E. Warren Air Force Base

Firstly, power strips aren’t designed for repeated use. They’re meant for short-term solutions, and therefore pose a risk of fire or electric shock with repeated use or being overloaded. According to the Umatilla County Fire District #1, the one thing you should never plug in to a power strip is a space heater.

Especially during the winter months, many people use space heaters throughout their homes. But power strips are not designed to handle the high current energy flow required for a space heater. They can easily overheat or start a fire due to this high flow. The best place to plug in a space heater is a wall outlet with no other sockets in use.

The weather is getting colder, and people are pulling out their space heaters. We just wanted to remind you that you…

Posted by Umatilla County Fire District #1 on Thursday, November 30, 2017

If you do use space heaters, remember to never leave them unattended, and to unplug them when you’re not in the same room. You should also ensure that your space heater is a safe distance from furniture, blankets, curtains, and other flammable objects. Be sure to share this information with your friends and family so that everyone and their homes can stay safe this winter.