10 Sun-Loving Ground Cover Plants You’ll Fall In Love With
Ground cover plants not only add beauty to your garden, but they also have practical benefits like preventing soil erosion, reducing weeds, and conserving water. If you have a sunny area in your garden that needs some love, consider planting ground cover plants that thrive in full sun. In this article, we will introduce you to 10 beautiful and hardy ground cover plants that love the sun.
1. Sedum: Sedum is a succulent that is perfect for full sun areas. Its leaves are very thick and they store water in them, making it drought-tolerant. Sedum comes in a variety of colors and textures, from lime green to deep burgundy, and can spread quickly to cover large areas.
2. Creeping Thyme: Creeping thyme is a low-growing, aromatic herb that produces beautiful purple flowers in the summer. It can survive in drought. Creeping thyme is also deer-resistant, making it a great choice for areas where deer are a problem.
3. Blue Star Creeper: Blue star creeper is a fast-spreading ground cover plant that produces beautiful blue flowers in the spring and summer. It likes water and can do fine in full sun to partial shade.
4. Dwarf Crested Iris: Dwarf crested iris is a hardy perennial that produces beautiful purple flowers in the spring. It does well in full sun to partial shade. Dwarf crested iris is also deer-resistant.
5. Corsican Mint: Corsican mint is a low-growing herb that produces a lovely minty fragrance when crushed. It likes moist soil and tolerates full sun to partial shade. Corsican mint is also deer-resistant.
6. Creeping Jenny: Creeping Jenny is a fast-growing ground cover plant with bright green leaves and small yellow flowers. It can even do fine in drought. Creeping Jenny is also deer-resistant.
7. Ice Plant: Ice plant is a succulent ground cover plant that produces beautiful pink, purple, or white flowers in the summer. It can tolerate drought.
8. Woolly Thyme: Woolly thyme is a low-growing herb that produces small, woolly leaves that give it a unique texture. It will be fine in full sun to partial shade.
9. Golden Creeping Jenny: Golden creeping Jenny is a low-growing ground cover plant with bright yellow leaves that turn green in the shade. It likes water but can also do well in some drought. Golden creeping Jenny is also deer-resistant.
10. Veronica: Veronica is a hardy perennial that produces beautiful blue or pink flowers in the spring and summer. It will be fine in full sun to partial shade. Veronica is also deer-resistant.
All of these plants like well-drained soil. When planting ground cover plants, it’s important to consider the spacing between each plant. For most ground cover plants, a spacing of 12-18 inches is recommended. This allows the plants to spread and fill in the area without overcrowding each other.
In addition to their practical benefits, ground cover plants can also add texture, color, and interest to your garden. By choosing plants that love full sun, you can create a beautiful and sustainable garden that thrives in even the hottest conditions.
We truly think ground cover plants are an excellent addition to any garden, and there are many options for those who love full sun. Whether you prefer succulents, herbs, or perennials, there is a ground cover plant that will suit your needs. So get out there and start planting!