6 Unsuspected Safety Hazards For Children

source: Wall Street Journal

If you have children (and grandchildren), you’re likely always trying to protect them from potential danger. Although many safety hazards are obvious, there are many more that are unsuspected, and in turn, can seriously harm a child. Here are 6 potential dangers to children that you should be on the lookout for.

1. Makeup

source: iStock

Makeup might seem completely harmless, but when children get into it, it can be irritating to their delicate, sensitive skin. Additionally, many ingredients in makeup are toxic and can be extremely harmful if ingested. It’s best to keep your makeup stored far out of your child’s reach.

2. Toys

We’re not saying that your child shouldn’t play with any toys. However, it’s extremely important that said toys are age-appropriate, and that they don’t include any potential choking hazards like tiny pieces, batteries, or similar things. If a toy becomes damaged, throw it out straight away.

3. Furniture

source: On Safety

When children are old enough to walk and climb, furniture that’s not secured to the ground or wall can pose the potential risk of tipping over onto a child. Ensure that all furniture is properly secured to the floor or wall to protect your child if they do decide to climb it.

4. Crib Bedding

source: Parenting

When it comes to a child’s crib, bare is best. Thick quilts, pillows, plush toys, sleep positioners, and more can all act as suffocating hazards to a baby. For more information on how to ensure your child’s crib is safe, click here.

5. Window Cords

Most drapery and blind systems have a chain or cord that allows them to be pulled up or down. These cords are huge choking hazards to children, so ensure that they are secured far out of a child’s reach. Additionally, you can buy cordless blinds that are totally child-friendly.

6. Magnets

Both fridge magnets and magnets found in toys can be extremely harmful to a child if swallowed. Ensure that your child’s toys have no accessible magnets, and keep fridge magnets out of your child’s reach (or simply don’t use them at all). Magnets rarely pass easily through a child’s system, and can cause all kinds of intestinal problems when they become wedged there.