Firefighters Are Urging People To Check This One Thing On The Side Of Their Homes

source: Facebook/Nipissing Township Fire Department

If you own or rent a house and live somewhere that sees snowy winters, you need to know about this information. The Nipissing Township Fire Department has issued a warning to homeowners (and renters) who have high-efficiency furnaces in their homes. When snow drifts begin to pile against your house, it’s extremely important that you ensure they aren’t blocking the fresh air intake and exhaust pipes.

These pipes are generally either white or black, and are located on the side of a home’s exterior. A blocked intake pipe or exhaust vent could result in carbon monoxide poisoning for the people who live in the house. The same warning applies to dryer vents. You should be alert and constantly check all pipes and vents during periods of heavy or blowing snow.

Carbon monoxide is referred to as the “silent killer” because it’s colorless and odorless. Accidental carbon monoxide poisoning from generators or fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, fireplaces, and water heaters can be fatal if the levels are high enough.

It’s also extremely important that you have carbon monoxide detectors inside your home to warn you and your family if levels begin to increase. These alarms should be situated in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of your home. If the alarm goes off or you suspect you have carbon monoxide in your home, go outside immediately and call 911. Be sure to take this information seriously, and to share it with your friends, family, and neighbors.

As the snow starts to drift against your house, homeowners with high-efficiency furnaces should make sure their fresh…

Posted by Nipissing Township Fire Department on Saturday, January 5, 2019