The Hidden Dangers Of Headphones That No One Is Talking About

source: Target PC

Pretty much all of us have at least one set of headphones lying around the house. Whether you listen to music while exercising, or listen to podcasts while on the bus or train, headphones are a normal part of the technological world we live in. However, there are hidden dangers associated with headphones that are only now becoming apparent.

Just a few weeks ago, a 16-year-old boy named Mohd Aidi Azzhar Zahrin was found dead in his home in the town of Rembau, Malaysia. His mother found him motionless on the floor of his room with blood trickling out of his ear. After an autopsy was performed, it was revealed that Mohd died due to electrocution. At the time of his death, he had been listening to music through headphones while charging his phone.

source: Know Your Mobile

It has yet to be determined whether or not the charging cable, phone, or headphones were faulty. However, faulty equipment isn’t the only risk when it comes to headphones. In February of 2018, 17-year-old Brazil student Luiza Pinheiro was found dead in her home under similar circumstances. However, her death was due to a huge electric charge that surged through her phone, resulting in the headphones melting in her ears. Her phone was also being charged at the time of her death.

It’s important to note that this isn’t just a danger for people in developing countries either. In 2014, a 28-year-old Australian woman was killed at her home in New South Wales after being electrocuted by a USB cable she was using to charge her phone while listening to music via headphones. So, how do we prevent this very real danger from happening?

source: Vebloft

Firstly, you should never listen to music by way of headphones while your device is charging. One electrical surge is all it would take to become fatally electrocuted. Secondly, you should ensure that you are never using faulty charging cables or headphones. Using faulty equipment greatly increases your risk of electric shock. You should also never fall asleep with headphones on. Be sure to share this information with your friends and family so that no one else becomes part of this alarming statistic.